Thursday, October 25, 2012

On raising a Son...

I have a list of things I'd like to remember to teach Wyatt that I've been keeping since I found out I was having a boy. The list is endless really but there are some top priorities I hope to instill.

1. It is ABSOLUTELY okay to cry. Actually, it is important to cry. Over loss, when having a rough day, when feeling defeated, or even just out of the blue. Now Wyatt- I know your dad was raised differently and he would argue this one... But I want you to know its a healthy part of life and expressing emotion and if you can't cry in front of your dad, you can ALWAYS come to me. And p.s. I've seen your dad cry on several occasions.

2. Treat your girlfriend/wife/love like a queen. Sweep her off her feet, cook for her (Mama will teach you how to whip up a mean lasagna!), tell her how beautiful she is and remind her how proud of her you are. Surprise her. Show her what a caring and compassionate man you are. Everyday.

3. It's good to be competitive, but not to the point of hurting other people, especially those that you love, over a game of anything.

4. Sing. Dance. Be silly. Laugh at yourself. Don't take life too seriously.

5. Always be kind to people in customer service situations or any kind of stranger that is helping you. You never know what may be going on in their life or what they are dealing with personally, so don't snap at them for something minor like your burger being cooked wrong. ESPECIALLY if its not their fault.

6. Always stand up for the underdog or anyone being picked on or bullied.

7. Remember to call your Mama and tell her you love her, no matter where you are in life! And give her hugs....ALWAYS! ;)

8. Whatever you choose to be... Be a good one! Try your best and be a positive motivator- it's contagious.

9. Try your hardest to be selfless, not selfish. You will get more fulfillment out of helping others than helping yourself. Be open to other people's ideas and tolerant of differences.

10. Also remember how important it is not to judge someone based on what they look like, what kind of clothes they wear, or what town they came from. NONE of these things matter at all.


I mean really I could go on and on but these are a few to start with... More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment